Reading:
Belcastro,
S. M., & Schaffer, K. (2011). Dancing mathematics and the mathematics of
dance. Math Horizons, 18(3), 16-20.
Summary:
The text
was written by two people who are both mathematicians and dancers. The authors
discuss several examples where math and dance interact and how dancers can use
math to design their movements or just to better orient themselves throughout time,
space, and the music rhythm.
Big small Stops:
“As mathematicians, we might not think of this as deeply mathematical, but many dancers and musicians do see this as the presence of mathematics, and complex patters inevitably arise when dancers play with rhythm”
[...]
“Dancers and choreographers might not use this terminology, but they do have to be adept at performing symmetries.”
[...]
“To be clear, we don’t view dance entirely through the lens of mathematics – or vice versa. Even when a dance has a strong mathematical element, we let the dance take on a life of its own. Dance is many things, sometimes all at the same time: artistic expression, ceremony, social interaction, political protest, expression of sexuality, a form of athletic competition, physical exercise, theater, psychological catharsis, community event. And sometimes it’s the interplay of these elements with mathematics that engages us as artists – and, we hope, engages the audience as well” (p.20).
[...]
In the readings of this week, several parts of the text made me stop for the same reason: when should we bring the mathematics of things explicitly to the discussion and when should we just the thing being understood throughout other ways of knowing this thing?
I think my question, as a teacher, is related to our role of facilitating learning through the design of situations and activities. In some cases, even though the relationship exists, to bring and explain their relationship is so complex that I wonder if it is the best pedagogical approach. Because I believe that one of the roles of a teacher is to design the path students will walk to learn, I wonder if bringing so many areas will not make kid’s learning harder since they will have to understand really well both the dance and the math to be able to see the beautiful of their connections.
Another point
is related to the teacher's knowledge about all these fields. I totally
understand when a person is already connected and knowledgeable in both fields
and decides to design learning moments using them together. However, if a
teacher does not know some area, I wonder if it is worth using them in a math
class because I fear the connection between the areas may not be coherently and deeply designed.
Given this point, I question...
Question:
When
should we bring the mathematics of things explicitly to the discussion and when
should we just the thing being understood throughout other ways of knowing this
thing?




I agree that If the mathematical concepts enhance the understanding or appreciation of the subject matter, it's worth explicitly discussing them with the students. Breaking down complex ideas into simpler forms, providing real-world examples or applications, and exploring the interdisciplinary connections between mathematics and other fields, such as dance, are worth considering as they enrich the learning experiences and deepen understanding. However, we need to be mindful of balancing depth with breadth to avoid overwhelming students. Sometimes, allowing students to discover mathematical connections organically through exploration and inquiry can be more effective than explicitly teaching them. Any lack of knowledge on the teachers' side can be overcome by collaborating with colleagues or seeking professional development opportunities. If integrating mathematics into a particular topic enhances student learning and curiosity, it's worth the effort, provided it aligns with curriculum goals. We can adjust our approach based on their reflections and learning outcomes. One example comes to mind. I can convert my math class into a dance class. While choreographing a complex dance form as a math teacher, I can integrate mathematical concepts such as symmetry, patterns, and rhythm. I might explicitly discuss how counting beats relates to understanding timing and spacing in dance movements. However, I also encourage students to explore and discover mathematical connections through movement exploration.
ReplyDeleteFor example, I might present a dance sequence and ask students to identify any symmetrical patterns they observe, encouraging them to think critically about spatial relationships and geometric shapes. By striking a balance between explicit instruction and inquiry-based learning, students deepen their understanding of mathematics and dance and develop critical thinking skills and creativity in applying mathematical concepts to their artistic expression.
This is an interesting reading on the connections between mathematics and dance. I agree with what Anita said about how a dance sequence can be presented to the students and then asking them to identify the patterns that they see. I personally believe that there should be a balance between bringing mathematics explicitly to the discussion, and focus on the activities rather than the underlying abstract mathematical concepts. I agree with the quote that dance can be many things at the same time, like physical exercise, expression of sexuality, community event, etc.
ReplyDelete