Sunday, February 4, 2024

How complexity theory can help us to see off the grid

 

Reading:

Doolittle, E. (2018). Off the grid. In Gerofsky, S. (Ed.), Geometries of liberation. Palgrave. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72523-9_7

Summary:

In this reading, the author Doolittle (2018) uses his Indigenous background to question how the world would look like if we thought about using another geometric system not dominated by the idea of a grid. He questions the grid system bringing several examples where it does not work or generates problems, failures, and even destruction. In this sense, he invites us to reflect on the precondition grip put on us and the possibilities beyond a world organized by the grid concept.

Stop 1:

My first stop was related to what would be our approach when the grid fails to respond to our expectations: 

“Failures of the grid system were discovered from the very beginning of its use, of course. The issue is how to respond to those failures. For example, what if the land on which we are drawing an agricultural grid is rough or irregular (as it most often is, in real applications)? On the one hand, we could find an alternative to the grid; on the other, we can use implements to level (“flatten”) the land. What if some grid plots are not equal in productive capacity to others, even though Euclid tells us they are all equal in area? Well, if a tree is casting shade on a plot, the tree can be removed. And then, to “equalize” the plots, we can apply fertilizer and irrigation. Too often, the specific life, qualities, and character of a particular place become subordinated to the forcefully imposed “evenness” and uniformity of the grid geometry” (p.104).

 In this passage, the authors invite us to think about another way to see and conduct things beyond established norms and standards references. It made me reflect what are the things I cannot see or understand because I approach them using a specific way of seeing the world. I do not have an answer to this question yet....  

                                                    Source: image generated by deepai.org


Stop 2:

“Complexity theory is a superset of fractal geometry that is not just about static shapes, but is used to understand dynamics, that is, systems in motion in time” (p.116).

I have studied complexity theory as a possible epistemology to support my Ph.D. research because I believe how teachers make decisions regarding their classroom practice involves many aspects of human relationships and the learning process. In this sense, I stopped in this passage trying to think about how I can see possible “off the grid” situations in teachers’ decision-making process and understand other systems that may be supporting teachers' choices. 

Source: image generated by deepai.org

Question:

How complexity theory can help us to see education from different perspectives and consider all the dynamics around human relationships while learning something?

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how “Off the Grid” challenges us to rethink the dominance of the grid system and encourages us to explore alternative perspectives and approaches, as shown by complexity theory. It resonates with me deeply as we need to envision a more dynamic and inclusive conceptual framework beyond the constraints of the grid.
    Complexity theory helps to recognize education beyond a set of rules and patterns. It is about identifying factors such as student-teacher interaction, a teacher’s flexible attitude towards unpredictable and unexpected situations, cultural backgrounds, and diverse learning styles for authentic learning.
    I learned how this theory teaches us to be flexible, open-minded, and resilient and adjust our teaching to diverse needs. I will treat this theory as a tool to design my future mathematics lessons as it guides me to see the students from different perspectives, their socio-cultural backgrounds, and their different adaptation conditions, promoting their critical thinking and designing group activities to encourage collaboration and the complexity of education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how complexity theory can help us see off the grid. I agree that failures can arise in the standard grid system. It is crucial to learn how to respond to these inevitable failures. I found the example of drawing a grid on an irregular or rough land to be interesting. It is fascinating that complexity theory can be used to study both dynamic and static aspects of things. I would like to read more into this theory to find out how it can help me perceive today’s education system from different perspectives. I am also intrigued to learn more about the use of complexity theory in studying various aspects of human relationships.

    ReplyDelete

Culminating Project: Joseph Problem

Below you can find Julian's and my Culminating Project for EDCP 551. In this video, we talk about our whole trajectory of developing the...